I started this year out with the intention of planting a flower and vegetable garden that would look beautiful and yield lots of food.
...it didn't work out so well.
I started out by planning the garden I wanted; planning how many plants I wanted and where they would go. It was really pretty in my mind. I bought tons of seeds and a 72 peet-pot green house starter kit contraption. I planted the seeds, and kept them inside as instructed. when they finally grew, I realized that it was too early (this was around late Feb. - early March) to plant them, plus, I hadn't weeded the garden. So I waited. About two weeks later, all my little flowers were dead and I decided I needed to wait to started my seeds.
About a month ago, my dad and Darl decided to extend the garden in our front yard to make more room for me to plant things. They put up a temporary border of wood and left it until they could get soil to fill it. It stayed that way for a while.
Then one day our neighbor across the street is doing some landscaping in his front yard. He clears the top 6" of dirt from his entire yard and asks my mom if she would like him to use the dirt to fill space my dad had made for the garden (because I'm sure at this point, it looks like some construction project gone-bad). Anyways, he fills it, and I head out to Costco and purchase some tomato plants. As some of you may know, I am quite the procrastinator. After I had procrastinated actually planting the tomatoes for a couple of days, my dad went ahead and planted them himself. At about this same time, I decided that I wasn't cut out to be a gardener since I couldn't even bring myself to plant the garden to begin with!
About two weeks after this I was looking online and found a website that gave instructions on how to make a planter box with recycled materials (because I am trying to go green), and make it suitable for planting vegetables (because for some reason I am intent on becoming more self-reliant)! I got really excited and went out and bought some plants (already grown, because I'm not so good with seeds) I talked to my dad about making a planter box, and he and Darl decided to help me. They got to work and made me two wonderful planter boxes. I then spent some time planting and tying the Costco tomatoes to stakes.
So I am very pleased to finally introduce my vegetable garden!
The two planter boxes made (from recycled materials, of course) by my dad and Darl
The tomatoes from Costco
They are starting to grow!! :)
Jun 29, 2008
After much delay, I present
Posted by
Penelope Lolohea
at
4:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
That looks like so much fun. I love vegetable gardens and I always plant tomatoes--nothing tastes so good as a fresh summer tomato! Good job. And I love that you are going green. Good for you!
Wow! great job girly! Those tomato plants are beautiful!
You're so nice to give daddy "credit" for his planter boxes. Not only are they made from recycled materials, they look recycled :) JK You are so brave to plant anything in this plant killing house!
Love you!
Mom
Post a Comment